Vanilla Ice Cream
From Alton Brown
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons peach preserves (not jelly)
1 vanilla bean, cut up and scraped
- Mix all elements (together with the bean and its pulp) in a big saucepan and place over medium warmth. Connect a frying or sweet thermometer to inside pan*.
- Stirring sometimes, deliver the combination to 170 levels F. Take away from warmth and permit to chill barely.
- Take away the hull of the vanilla bean, pour combination into lidded container and refrigerate combination in a single day to mellow flavors and texture.
- Freeze combination in ice cream freezer in line with unit’s directions. The combination won’t freeze onerous within the machine.
- As soon as the quantity has elevated by 1/2 to three/four occasions, and reached a mushy serve consistency, spoon the combination again right into a lidded container and harden within the freezer a minimum of 1 hour earlier than serving.
Makes 1 quart.
*Be aware: In the event you should not have a thermometer, deliver the combination simply barely to a simmer. As quickly as you see a bubble hit the floor, take away it from the warmth. Don’t let it boil.